Title: Senior Research Analyst Date: January 15, 2020 (negotiable)
Unit: Research Location: Boston, MA
Salary: Negotiable Website: http://icic.org
Contact: Howard Wial firstname.lastname@example.org
The Initiative for a Competitive Inner City (ICIC) is a national non-profit organization founded in 1994 by Harvard Business School Professor Michael Porter to promote economic development in America’s inner cities through private sector engagement that leads to job, income and wealth creation for local residents. ICIC brings together business and civic leaders to drive innovation and action, transform thinking, and accelerate inner city business growth. ICIC’s research highlights the competitive advantages of inner cities and informs its recommendations to business and civic leaders. At ICIC, you will work with talented, creative and committed professionals in a collaborative culture dedicated to excellence and innovation.
ICIC is seeking a high-performing full-time Senior Research Analyst who will work closely with senior research staff to manage engagements with a diverse set of clients and lead and support research projects on urban economic development and business growth issues. The Senior Research Analyst will report directly to the Senior Vice President and Director of Research.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Manage applied research projects from idea stage through completion, ensuring projects meet rigorous research standards and are grounded in theory
· Lead research teams and manage their interaction with a diverse set of external research clients and sponsors.
· Identify new opportunities for funded research and manage existing opportunities from idea through proposal acceptance. Support writing and compiling proposals.
· Conduct primary research using surveys, interviews and qualitative analysis.
· Compile and synthesize data and information from public and private sources, including literature reviews using secondary data sources.
· Perform quantitative analysis involving large and small data sets and support management of databases and data sets.
· Conduct basic mapping using ArcGIS.
· Manage and prepare reports and presentation materials for external and internal audiences, including writing, editing, and dissemination.
· Develop and support design of data visualizations and infographics.
· Strong academic performance with coursework or work experience in the social sciences or related fields, such as Economics, Business, Geography, Urban Planning, Political Science, Sociology, or a similar discipline
· At least 18 months’ experience as a consultant or research analyst.
· Demonstrated experience successfully managing complex projects and teams with minimal supervision.
· Demonstrated experience conducting primary and secondary qualitative research, including conducting interviews and synthesizing findings.
· Demonstrated experience using and analyzing data sets, including major public data sets such as Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, and Bureau of Economic Analysis data sets.
· Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills, including ability to summarize and synthesize complex information accurately and concisely.
· Strong analytical skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel and familiarity with ArcGIS.
· Ability to creatively visualize data and information. Proficiency with Microsoft PowerPoint and Basic Adobe Creative Suite skills is desirable.
· Ability to work collaboratively with peers across units within the organization.
· Demonstrated ability to work on projects independently.
· Flexibility with changing priorities.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks and a diverse set of projects and successfully meet deadlines.
· Ability to travel up to 15% of year.
A successful candidate will be passionate about the work that we do at ICIC and passionate about research and analytics. They will be knowledgeable about economic development issues. They will be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, have the ability to think beyond the task at hand and take initiative to ensure a project is completed successfully. They will be willing to periodically work beyond conventional hours and will be comfortable working in a flat, multi-disciplinary structure. We are looking for someone with a demonstrated capacity for teamwork.
ICIC is the right place for you if you want to work in a dynamic and professional environment in an organization that is committed to improving the lives of inner-city residents. You will be exposed to unique research opportunities and work closely with our clients across the country. Your internal growth and development will be determined by your contribution to the organization’s success as a whole.
ICIC is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and inclusive organization. We provide equal opportunity for all persons seeking employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender identity, family status, sexual orientation, military status, national origin, disability, or any other characteristic as established by law.
The position will remain open until filled, but we will start considering applications on December 9, 2019. Please submit a resume and cover letter, with the job title as the subject line, to
Your application was submitted successfully.