The Initiative for a Competitive Inner City (ICIC) is a national not-for-profit organization founded in 1994 by Harvard Business School Professor Michael Porter to promote economic development in America’s under-resourced areas through private sector engagement that leads to job, income and wealth creation for local residents. Informed by our research, ICIC has developed and supported highly effective initiatives for underserved urban businesses to meet entrepreneurs’ most pressing needs. At ICIC, you will work with talented, creative, and committed professionals in a collaborative culture dedicated to excellence and innovation.
We are looking for an experienced Communications Manager to help us build and codify the ICIC brand and raise our external profile and awareness. You’ll work across all levels and departments of our organization to capture and distill what makes us unique and communicate it to the world. Reporting to the Director of Development, the Communications Manager is responsible for oversight of marketing, public relations, collateral, and branded material, social media and digital marketing, as well as supervision of Communications Associate.
Research and planning
- Conduct market research in order to keep up to date with market trends, monitor competitors’ activities, plan and forecast
- Codify and communicate our vision and mission
- Develop and lead annual planning for communications in collaboration with the Director of Development and CEO
- Translate strategy into annual and multi-year communications plans
Campaigns and marketing
- Leveraging annual communications plan, develop strategies and manage new and ongoing marketing campaigns across print and online platforms
- Supervise production of blog, social media, and monthly newsletter content to ensure alignment with brand identity and annual communications calendar
Reporting and evaluation
- Analyze the success of marketing campaigns and other events by collecting and interpreting data
- Measure and report performance of all marketing campaigns and assess ROI and KPIs
- Align internal stakeholders around brand direction, choices and tactics
- Work with external PR and design firm consultants, ensuring consistency in marketing and branding
- Identify opportunities for cross-functional collaboration working with colleagues across multiple departments and programs
- Manage department staff and budget
- Proven ability to develop brand and marketing strategies and communicate recommendations to senior leadership
- Experience identifying target audiences and devising effective campaigns
- Excellent understanding of the full marketing mix Strong analytical skills, data-driven, and an affinity for numbers and KPIs, partnered with a creative mind
- Outstanding interpersonal and written communication skills
- Up-to-date with latest trends and marketing best practices
- Past experience managing staff and/or interns, preferred
- Minimum five years of related experience and degree in marketing or a related field preferred. May be substituted by 8+ years of related experience.
ICIC is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and inclusive organization and strongly encourages applications from minorities. We provide equal opportunity for all persons seeking employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender identity, family status, sexual orientation, military status, national origin, disability, or any other characteristic as established by law.
This a full-time position based out of our office in Boston’s Nubian Square area. The salary is highly competitive, and benefits include:
- A total of 7 weeks of PTO per year to start (3 weeks vacation, 2 weeks paid holidays, 2 weeks of sick time)
- 401k Pension Plan participation after one full year of employment, with an employer match of up to 4% of your salary
- Health, Dental, Vision Insurance (70% paid by ICIC)
- Subsidized public transportation or bicycle expense reimbursement
- 12 weeks 100% paid new parent leave for employees who have been at ICIC for 12 months or more, plus option to use sick and vacation time for additional time off at the end of the leave
To be considered for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter through our application page.